Summer blazers are all the buzz!by Kristin Golden on 06/25/12
Summer blazers are all the buzz!
Wear them in style this summer season:
Colorful blazers (and blazers in general) are one of the hottest items this summer. Yes, it's hot outside, but this typical cool-weather trend is taking over NOW. So how do you pull of the blazer look without feeling constricted, too warm, or out of season?
One of the greatest things about the current blazer trend is that many blazers for the summer are being made of lighter weight. Cotton blazers are popping up everywhere in fun colors and they make the perfect accessory for almost any outfit.
Another great thing about the blazer trend this summer is that many of them are not designed to close (in fact, many of them don't even have a button to allow the jacket to close). These semi-fitted jackets help create a great look without the restricted feeling of your typical blazer (just want make sure that the blazer is shorter - it should hit close to your hip bones).
So how do you wear a blazer in the coming summer months?
- Plan ahead: if you know that you are going to be outside for most of the day, make sure that you layer with something that you can feel good in, should you have to take the blazer off.
- Have fun with color! There are so many fun colors - from pink to blue to yellow - these colors make blazers extremely summer-friendly.
- Throw on a blazer with a pair of shorts. You don't have to wear suit seperates in order to rock the blazer trend. Grab a cute pair of shorts (preferably not cut-offs), throw on a colorful tee, and top it off with a fun new blazer. Add a little jewelry and some cute gladiator sandals or wedges and you will be ready to go!
- Wear a blazer with skinny jeans and heels for a great night-out look that can take your from dinner to drinks.
- I love the look of a blazer over a summer dress. Just make sure that the blazer is short enough so that it doesn't overwhelm the dress.
- Layer a semi-fitted blazer over a looser tank and jeans - it's okay if the shirt hangs out lower than the jacket.
- Wear a cotton blazer with trousers for an easy summer work outfit that still qualifies business attire but so much more comfortable (and cute).
- Feeling risky? Wear a blazer with just a bandeau top underneath and a cute jean. This trend is all over the runways and is great for trendy night spots!
Where to find these great blazers:
- Nordstrom has a great selection of them. I personally love their Caslon brand blazers as they are so lightweight and come in so many fun colors. Also look into the Gibson blazers - they come in a heavier cotton and a nice linen.
- Piperlime.com. This is one of my go-to websites. They are always on top of the trends and have great items at a variety of prices.
- Boutiques - check out your local boutiques. They may not have a huge size-run but they are great for spotting unique pieces.
- Forever 21. Okay, I am not a HUGE fan of this store as I believe in quality over quantity, BUT, they do have a great selection of summer-style blazers at a fraction of the cost. This would be a great place to start if you are a little weary of the trend - just don't expect it to last too long and be aware of the fit. You get what you pay for and sometimes, highly discounted items just don't fit as well as their quality counterparts. Still, it's worth a look.
Now that you have a new trend to try, go out and have some fun with it! Don't take it too seriously and don't be afraid to experiment with color!
Kristin @ Kristin Golden Image Consulting